According to NHS guidelines –
You have insomnia if you regularly:
- find it hard to go to sleep
- wake up several times during the night
- lie awake at night
- wake up early and can’t go back to sleep
- still feel tired after waking up
- find it hard to nap during the day even though you’re tired
- feel tired and irritable during the day
- find it difficult to concentrate during the day because you’re tired
You can have these symptoms for months, sometimes years.
How much sleep you need
Everyone needs different amounts of sleep. On average we need:
adults – 7 to 9 hours
children – 9 to 13 hours
You probably don’t get enough sleep if you’re constantly tired during the day.
(source NHS website 2018)
How can Hypnotherapy help?
An important part of hypnotherapy for insomnia is teaching you how to relax. For some people, physical or mental tension can make sleeping difficult. I use relaxation techniques, such as progressive muscle relaxation to help reduce tension. Sessions will help you to develop a routine. Practising a routine will improve your sleep hygiene and reduce evening stress. I will also teach you self-hypnosis. Using hypnosis for insomnia at home may help you take the tools you’ve learnt during the session into your everyday life.
See other Areas of Work